Thursday, March 7, 2013

Gumdrops


I love gummi candies. It doesn't matter what shape. Bears, worms, frogs, I'll eat them all. I even once ate an enormous gummi rat. When I found a recipe for them I was so excited. I've altered it a bit enabling me to make some really great flavors. These ones are cheesecake, rootbeer and raspberry flavors.

Gumdrops Ingredients:
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup gelatin
1 1/2 cups boiling water
4 cups sugar + extra for coating approx
1/8 tsp candy oil (like Lorann Oil's) per pan
food coloring

Bloom the gelatin in a dutch oven by sprinkling it on top of the cold water. Wait 5 minutes.
Add the boiling water and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in the sugar. Bring to a boil over med-high heat and boil for 20 minutes.
Ladle mixture into pans. Divide mixture between 3 5x7 pans. Add 1/8 tsp of candy oil and a few drops of food coloring to each pan. Stir to combine.
Refrigerate, covered, overnight.

If using silicon pans the gummi should pop out easily, if using a rigid pan like I do loosen the edges by running a knife around the sides of the pan, then peel the gummi off the bottom. It helps to sprinkle some sugar on the outside as you peel it off so it doesn't stick. Cut into shapes and coat with sugar. The recipe this is based on says to let them sit at room temperature for 2 days before eating them. They've never lasted that long, they are way too good fresh!



No comments:

Post a Comment