Thursday, March 28, 2013

Paleo Burger night

My friend Adrian started eating Paleo about a week before I did. I didn't know this until after he found out I'd made the switch too. He's in need of some food-inspiration.

Last night I made burgers for the family. The burger itself is just ground beef formed into a patty. Instead of having a bun (since grains are a no-no on Paleo) I put my burger on top of a portabello mushroom cap. Topped with Homemade mayo, a slice of tomato, some homemade guacamole and caramelized onions. It was phenomenal.

Mayonnaise is a finicky thing to make. If you try it and it doesn't work take some deep breaths and try again. Homemade mayo is far superior to anything you can get in the store. It is well worth the time and effort.

Mayonnaise (Paleo friendly):

2 egg yolks
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
pinch of salt
3/4 cup olive oil

1. Whisk everything except for the olive oil together until well combined.
2. VERY slowly drop the olive oil in while whisking hard. If whisking by hand it's easier to have someone else slowly drizzle it in. It should take 5-7 minutes to drizzle that much olive oil in. If you go too fast you'll break the emulsion. Keep whisking until it reaches your desired consistancy.
3. (Only applicable if you are whisking by hand) Go get a KitchenAid.







1 comment:

  1. It's my understanding that you can take that mayo recipe, put it in a tall beaker, and hit it with a stick blender. No whisking required. Haven't personally tried it, have seen videos of it working.

    ReplyDelete