Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Butter and Buttermilk Pancakes

I recently tried making butter for the first time. I have to tell you, I was skeptical. Now that I've figured out how easy it is, I'll be doing it as often as I need butter. It saves me a little bit of money, but is worth it based on deliciousness alone. Especially since it gives me an excuse to make fresh buttermilk pancakes. Both recipes are posted here. The butter is something I recommend making when you have other helping hands available.
Fresh butter



Butter
Ingredients
2 cups heavy cream (aka whipping cream)
cold water

Directions
Fill a one quart canning jar (with a tight fitting lid) with the cream and put the lid on. (Honestly, filling any size jar half full with cream will work) Let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
Start shaking it. Shake it until you can't shake anymore and then get your helping hands to shake it. Keep going until it separates into buttermilk and butter. If you're not sure if it's separated yet, keep shaking. when it's ready it will look like a jar you've put 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of skim milk in.
Strain the buttermilk (save it - you'll need it for the pancakes!). I found the easiest way was to put a piece of cheesecloth in the sealing ring of the jar. Then you need to rinse the butter. To do this put the butter in a bowl. Pour a little cold water in the bowl and press the butter with the back of the spoon. Drain it. Keep doing this until the water is clear and you don't get any more buttermilk released when you press the butter.
Keep in the fridge. Use within a week.

Straining the buttermilk


Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients
1 egg
1 cup butter milk
1 cup flour
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Directions
Mix the dry ingredients together. In a large bowl, beat egg until fluffy. Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the egg. Mix until smooth. Pour 1/4 cup at a time onto hot griddle. I use med-low heat. Flip when pancakes are dry around the edges.
Serve with fresh butter and maple syrup.

Butter milk pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment